Total Pageviews

Saturday 28 January 2017

Excerpt 3: Do not Believe in God Till You Experience Him

The students from my high school formed yet another social circle for me, after home. School provided me a space to create the second layer of my personality and value development. I was able to achieve good results without putting in much effort. Many classmates had private tutors who came to their homes to teach them. They had exotic reference books for each subject and other fancy things. Yet, I continued to score better marks than most of them.
I used to come second in my class. Rajarshi was a very serious and studious boy and he would score better than me overall in my section. Our school used to have three or four sections in each class with about fifty students in each section.
The fifty students in each section were like a tribe. We grew fiercely protective of each other because of our shared sense of belonging to the same section. We would have friendly fights with other sections of the same class in the school. Every new academic year, there would be some adjustments in our sections as someone would drop out and some new students would join the class. There would be one or two adjustments where someone from one section had to move to another section of the class. We loathed the moment and dreaded letting go one of our own into the enemies’ dominion. Children would cry and plead to remain with the same section but would have to go. For the next couple of years, that child would still keep coming back to the original section for lunch breaks and any social gatherings. Slowly, he would be assimilated into the new section.
Some of the best students from the entire state would be admitted to our school each year; that would result in a dip in my ranking, as I was not studious enough to go that extra mile to retain my rank in class. Since my school was one of the best schools for boys under the central board of secondary education, many parents preferred to move their children to this school. 
It was a Parent Teacher Meet in school; my mother was hyper-active since the morning.
“Take me to every teacher. I need to know what goof ups you do in your class.”
My mother had a friendly rivalry with me. She was a keen critic of mine. She enjoyed finding fault with me as much as I loved to prove her wrong.
“Come and see for yourself. I have already told you, the Biology teacher punished me a couple of times for talking in the class. Apart from her, everyone will praise me. This time I have got more marks than Rajarshi!” I beamed with confidence. This time around, I was especially excited about bringing my mother to school. Something rare had happened. I had fared better than Rajarshi in the exams. Mathematics and Hindi had always been my forte. We were equally good in Science. English and Social Sciences were the two subjects where Rajarshi would take the lead over me. The lead in those two subjects would be far more than my modest superiority in Mathematics and Hindi. This time around, I had more marks than Rajarshi and I was extremely happy with my performance.
My mother dressed in a plain sari and looked shabby. If you did not know her, you could write her off as an illiterate woman, although she had a master’s degree. My mother entered my classroom with me.
Father Dominic, a Catholic missionary, was our English teacher. He smiled kindly at my mother and me. He talked softly in broken Hindi to my mother
Aap Angrezi samajhte hain?”
My mother’s eyes lit up when she saw Father Dominic addressing her.
“Yes Father, a little bit.” She replied promptly.
Father pulled out my answer sheet from the bundle and passed on. “Your son has performed well.” He spoke in a reassuring tone.
My mother got down to the business of scrutinizing my papers. She caught some mistakes. There were a couple of questions from English grammar where one had to convert an active voice sentence into passive voice. I had committed some minor mistakes that Father Dominic had overlooked.
“Father, this conversion is wrong.” My mom called Father Dominic’s attention to this. This took Father Dominic by surprise. He smiled somewhat shamefacedly as he had initially assumed my mother did not know English.
“Please deduct his marks.” My mother requested in a firm tone.  Father Dominic had no choice. 

No comments: