Total Pageviews

Sunday 28 July 2013

What do you say to people on the streets who ask you “Do you believe in Jesus?”

Or for that matter, members of “Hare Krishna” movement; offering you free books on the street; or Muslims handing you pamphlets assuring that Mohammed was the last real prophet and everyone has to convert to Islam or be doomed?

Recently I have moved in a small town, Den Bosch in Holland and I love the old architecture of the place. The cobblestoned streets are charming, the old brick buildings and church add perfectly to the ambience and the meandering canals make the picture complete. Strolling comes natural to me. I love to walk without any desire to reach the destiny. Going for a walk gives me kicks. It fills some fresh oxygen in my brain and I am able to take my mind off the 1001 problems from office and home that keep me otherwise very preoccupied.
Except for Fridays and Saturdays, the streets in my neighborhood get sparse and lonely in the late evenings. This poses a challenge to my quest for walk. You are susceptible to being approached by some people who would like to talk to you and the deserted surrounding can make you feel intimidated.
Street crime in Netherlands is thankfully much lower than UK. Here in Den Bosch, people are very friendly and kind. Mugging, snatching or knife crime is unheard of and that is very assuring indeed. Probably that is the reason why I am able to garner courage to walk alone.  
I do get in uncomfortable situations if I venture out further from my home. Once in a while some drugs junkie would approach me and tell that he did not had food for last 2 days and if I could spare some money for him. I apologize that I was not carrying my wallet and walk ahead steadily.
Today, two well-built guys approached me as I was on my stroll. They did not fit the bill of an addict. My instinct made me quickly look around and check out the escape routes but I kept a straight face. One of them approached me and started talking in Dutch.
“Sorry I do not speak Dutch.” I tried to make excuse and move on.
“I speak little English” the guy in red t-shirt did not want to let me go off his hook.
“Have you heard of Jesus?” he started.
“Yes” I replied. I completely understood in which direction this conversation was headed.
“Do you believe in Jesus?” came the next question.
“Yes, I do believe in Jesus, AND all the other masters like Mohamed, Buddha and Hinduism; religion of my birth.” I was at my religious correctness best.
“That is no problem. You see one thing is a concept we make from hearing what others say and it is entirely different to reach a conclusion by direct experience.” The man went on with his convincing spree.
“Someone may tell you I am a good or bad person; but if you really need to know me; you will have to take me out for a coffee. Sit at the table and talk to me in person. Same holds true with our relationship with Jesus.” The poor fellow was trying to captivate me with his limited verbal abilities.
“Hang on. May I ask you a question?” I turned on to him.
“Do you believe there is only one God?”
“Yes, Indeed. I do believe there is only one true God.” The man replied.
“And you believe there is only one true messenger of God and that is Jesus Christ.” I was asking close ended questions to cut our loop in a loop discussion short.
“Yes my friend, I believe there is only one true messenger, Jesus.” The man replied.
“We have a difference of opinion here and I would like end our discussions here. I believe in multiple true messengers and you in one.” I closed the discussion and took their leave hurriedly.
“Have a good night.” The man waived at me.
I feel deep respect to this charitable, altruistic aspect of humans. People take a break from daily chore of making the ends meet and try to help others with what they truly believe is superior. These people on street did not have any ulterior motive. They did not expect monetary benefit from me in return or to receive any other favors. They try to talk and convince me with something they strongly believe is good for all.

They might be right or wrong and that is not so important for me. I salute their desire to take up a charitable cause.

1 comment:

Rohit said...

Life and its lessons come from all kinds, in all shapes and in all format. I was told once that I will go to hell if I did not follow 'Him'. I softly replied, "I live alone here without all my family members. My Dad passed away without following 'Him'. I would at least want to be with Dad after I die so I want to go exactly where Dad is!